Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Flaws and Imperfections

Flaws and Imperfections


One thing that destroys our mood at times is the fact that we encounter flaws and imperfections in our environment. We always expect things to be in perfect quality, manner, shape and condition. If we go to the supermarket we pick up stuff and before we throw them into our shopping cart, we scrutinize, we fiddle, we squeeze, we press, we knock it on, we smell, we caress, we try them on, we read expiry dates, etc. We do these because we want to make sure that we are buying the quality of products we want to buy out of the value we pay. Nowadays, China-made products flooded the market and most often than not, they are devoid of durability. One time, my wife picked up a beautiful night lamp from a gift shop and we saw it running as the storekeeper tried it on. But as soon as she got home, she was so delighted about the new gadget that she immediately took it out from the PLASTIC BAG and plugged it into the power supply. A sharp light sparked accompanied by a nerve-rocking pop sound from the bulb while electric fume and smoke filled the air. I stood up frozen at the sight of the gadget on aflame. My wife was so mad furious that she immediately walked passed me, grabbed the lamp and went back to the store. I was not aware of what transpired within the store, but my wife came back carrying another piece. The whole day, she could not stop talking about it. And, surely it ruined her whole day.

Decision: I will not let flaws and imperfections ruin one day of my existence here on earth.
Perfectionism is a mental disease infecting many people, especially those who set high standards on everything they possess, do or utter. It is in fact contagious. My former lady boss happens to be a typical perfectionist. She would make it sure that our works are devoid of anything questionable before she will finally approves them. If she would find a single flaw, she tends to come out from her office and would recite her long ear-stinging litany until we get pissed off. We actually never enjoyed working with her. Nowadays, whenever we, as her former subordinates meet together, we would just make her memorable speech subjects of our pleasantries. There’s no good memories established while we work with her. And so now, we all became bosses, ourselves. Least thing that we realized is that we indeed inherited her contagious perfectionism. At least, I became aware of it so I was able to reform my style of supervision, but my former colleagues find it necessary and practical. Asking them if they enjoy being perfectionists, or even did it make them happy to set too stringent standards, they will just show me face of disapproval.

Decision: I will not ruin my good relationship with my colleagues/subordinates and established bad memories of me, as their co-worker. More so, I want them to learn good values and traits out of my good examples. 
Famous old time painters, though their works are tagged “flawless” by many, will only be grilled by art critics if they find a single tiny unwanted imperfection. Once the criticism is publicized, the value of the piece will surely diminish to the disappointment of art enthusiasts. In my childhood, my mother was presented a piece of Borja’s oil-on-canvass. The piece, which was given by a well-to-do relative, depicts a boat lying beside a big tree trunk which has grown at the river stream’s bank. Across the stream was a neat shack built out of bamboo stems, rough logs, and dried grass leaves. On the background were plenty of trees, grasses and colorful flowers. A rugged bamboo bridge provided access to the shack from the other side of the stream. At first, I was utterly amazed by the way everything was painted, especially THE CLOUDS and skies. The painter was so full of dexterity that he painted them as if you are gazing at the real skies, so full of life. But one thing turned me off - the casting of lights was not proper. In the painting, you see the sun at the left side which supposed to cast lights and produce shadows at the opposite side. But there was irregularity in the source of lights. In that sense, my appreciation of the whole painting vanished in thin air. My perfectionism destroyed my good perception at that painting forever. What if, that painting is a person?

Decision: I will not ruin my good perception of something or somebody because of one unpleasant trait or character they possessed.
PERFECTNESS is only based on the one who perceives it perfect. It all depends on the criteria or standard one has set on the object. If we strain our eyes to view a single flaw, we can surely find one or even more.

When I was about to get my newly purchased car from the showroom, I worried about factory defects which may cause accidents if left ignored. As, I entered into the warehouse where all vehicles for delivery were stored, my mind was trying to itemize the things I have to check to completely say that everything is acceptable based on the standard I set so I can declare that the car is in “PERFECTLY SAFE CONDITION.” The attendant walk toward my car wearing a friendly congratulating grin, pulled out a key from his pocket and swiftly made it into the driver’s seat. Effortlessly, the car engine ignited, the way I expected it to be. The roaring sound as he stamped harder on the accelerator pedal did not pound a bit on my tympanum, up to the level I expect it to be. No suspicious squeaking or gritting sounds was there, accompanying the roars. It was perfectly oiled and lubricated, the way I expected it to be. I went round and round the shiny sedan, running my hands over the surfaces and trying to feel unusual dents, bruises and marks. I took out the flashlight from my backpack and beam it against the surfaces to check for ugly swirl marks. The surfaces were entirely up to my satisfaction, except one. On the front bumper, there was a mark, the size of a soda bottle cap and resembles a shallow ripple created by a drop fell over a quiet surface of water. I frowned and started complaining in dissatisfaction. I told the attendant to do something about it, otherwise they should change the unit. With concerned look, he said, “No worries. That thing won’t give you any pains. I’ll tell our painter to fix it.”

The attendant was right, I realize. It should do no harm on me, except the emotional defeat. One hard word and I’m totally defeated. Coming back to my senses, I recommended him not to bother anymore. So I drove off enjoying the excitement of the new possession. As I was half-way to my place, my car suddenly stopped…… and to my dismay I ran out of gas!

Decision: For as long as flaw or imperfection will cause no harm, I will tolerate it.
Truly, high expectations and perfectionism does not pay. It will only destroy the quality of your precious time and creates a dent in your good memories, not only yours but others’ as well. Let us be reminded that all things are meant to be imperfect and let us be contented on the way they are. We are here in this life to fix imperfections and create a wonderful, beautiful piece out of it.

SAY IT: MY LIFE IS PIECE OF IMPERFECT PAINTING. IT TAKES ONLY A SINGLE DECISION TO CORRECT THE IMPERFECTIONS BY ENJOYING THE IMPERFECTIONS OF THINGS, CIRCUMSTANCES AND PEOPLE AROUND. 

No comments:

Post a Comment