Saturday, September 23, 2017

Knowing Christ

Pastor Jose V. Velasco, Jr.    

       We will start with St. Paul's affirmation when he said, "- -I know whom I have believed- -" (2 Timothy 1:12). He knows Christ. The Bible has a specially more profound meaning of knowing a person. It is not merely having some information about a person, but having an intimate acquaintanceship with that person. It is a personal relationship. Paul knows Christ in this manner. Christ is alive and active in his life. He knows His love and forgiveness. He directs and helps him in all his activities. He is his strength and power. He provides him with all his needs in fulfilling his mission. All his triumphs in his struggles and ministry come from Christ. For his part, Paul believes in Christ, loves, obeys, and serves Him.

       This is the kind of knowing Christ all people who profess to be Christian must have. Short of this our faith is superficial and rootless. It is false, not genuine. And a fake Christianity does not touch life deeply. It does not transform life. Hence, we have so many professing Christians who are very unchristian in their life-style. Jesus referred to them thus, "These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me" (Mt. 15:8).

       How can we attain the real and true knowledge of Christ? Jesus initiates it by inviting us, "Follow me" (Mt. 4:19; 9:9). This invitation comes to us when the gospel reaches us. You may respond by praying in your heart, "Yes, I want to follow, love, obey and serve you forever. So we get related to Him spiritually. Then we begin to follow His life and teachings, and slowly become like Him. We are on the way to becoming a real Christian.

       Paul's words, "I know whom I have believed" carries a strong sense of certainty. It is like the blind man whom Jesus healed. He was so certain of Christ healing him that he said, "One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!" (Jn. 9:25). There is no maybe or perhaps. It is sure. Not a bit of doubt. This personal knowing of Christ lasts for eternity. In His long prayer Jesus said, "Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent" (Jn. 17:3).  Do you now genuinely know Jesus Christ this way? You may by inviting Him into your heart to become your Lord and Savior.

Prayer
Lord Jesus, I hear you calling me to follow and know you in an intimate and personal way. I open my heart to you. Come, may you be my Lord and Savior. I love you. Help me obey, serve and live for you. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment